Alberta owns 81 per cent of the province's mineral rights. The Ministry of Energy manages the development and conservation of these resources on behalf of the people of Alberta, within the province's framework for sustainable resource and environmental management.
The Ministry of Energy consists of the Department of Energy (the Department), the Energy Resources Conservation Board, the Alberta Utilities Commission and the Alberta Petroleum Marketing Commission.
Alberta Energys core businesses are:
- Securing Benefits for Albertans Secure Albertans' share and benefits from energy and mineral resource development.
- Resource Development Ensure Alberta's energy and mineral resources remain accessible, competitive and attractive to investment and development.
- Energy for Albertans Ensure Alberta consumers have a choice of reliable and competitively priced energy.
- Regulation of Energy Development by the Energy Resources Conservation Board Ensure that the discovery, development and delivery of Alberta's energy resources take place in a manner that is fair, responsible and in the public interest.
- Regulation of Utility Development by the Alberta Utilities Commission Ensure that the development and delivery of Alberta's energy utilities take place in a manner that is fair, responsible and in the public interest.
Our Vision: Alberta is a global energy leader, using its world class knowledge, expertise and leadership to develop the vast energy resources of the province and to market these resources and abilities to the world.
Our Mission: Optimize the sustained contribution from Alberta's energy and mineral resources in the interests of Albertans.